Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Zindagi ek rail ki patri hai. Ek inch ka bend, aur meelon ki doori.

Remember the dialogue from Jab We Met? Apart from being hilariously funny (especially what follows this), it speaks a wholesome truth.

Yesterday in the bus, on my way back from work, I was sitting and thinking.

Of the last 3 distinct moments of happiness that I remember vividly are getting selected for JC in Singapore, Lafayette College for undergrad and more recently, for SEP in Canada. And how each of these decisions has changed my life.

If I hadn't decided to come to Singapore, I would right now have graduated from some uni in India and would either be doing Masters or a job. Assuming of course that I got admitted to a good college (read IIT), else I would right now be fondly remembered by friends and family as the loving daughter with such a bright future (LOL!), who fell trap to the fallacies of the Indian education system and the horrible competition and jumped off the school building.

If I had decided to accept the Lafayette offer, I would be in the US, living a very different social life (or so I like to believe). What is and isn't acceptable to me would be of a different standard, and I would not be missing the snow right now (yes I'm aware it's Spring right now).

In the long term, Canada may become but a small part of my life, but right now it seems equally significant to me.

It's amazing isn't it. How every small or big decision in your life changes the course that it takes. You may not even realize it at the time, but years later, you will look back at it and wonder. What if..

No comments:

Post a Comment