Friday, July 24, 2009

FOOLS

This world is full of fools. The most harmless type seem to be those who recognise that they are fools. The most dangerous by far are those who are convinced they are biggest smarty pants in the whole world. I can't stand people who have such high impressions of themselves that their head is going to burst with the self involvement. Whose “knowledge” is gained by reading up random, inconsequential bits and pieces of information that they are convinced it is essential to know. For example, knowing the year your university was established ranks right up there in the MUST KNOW list, and woe betide anyone who overlooks this “crucial” bit of information.

Then again their misplaced sense of pride irks one and all. Apparently the fact that the university you are enrolled in is a million times better in every single way than theirs is too trivial a fact to be taken into consideration. They will go and read up stupid things on Wikipedia, and then come “test” you. And if you do not manage to tell them satisfactory answers, they will look down upon as someone barely worth knowing.

Even if you know every damned thing there is to know, it gives you no right to make your head swell like that. Because then you don’t know manners or humility. So what if you know about this place, we have both learnt stuff, albeit very different stuff.

These are the kind of people you can tolerate, even pity, as long as their mouth is tightly shut. But horror of horrors when that unthinking tongue is unleashed. There is just so much that you can do to prevent yourself from literally scratching out their eye balls in your fury.

Such are the people who are so sure in their own limited world of knowing everything that there is to know that they will never open their mind to the idea that there is a bigger world out there, that other people’s priority in life might be a teeny tiny bit different from yours.

And I am sorry but looking down on others who are in fact better off than you is not something I do. In fact, it doesn’t even matter if the other person is better off or not, you do not look down on them. You do not judge them for what they do. You have no fucking right to adjudge their circumstances in life and then blame them for their decisions.

It matters not whether you are rich or poor, have seen how much of the world, what matters is that while we may all live different lives, we all have experiences worth the same. And all our lives are equally worth it. I try to remember that when I see people less well off than me, and I sure as hell try to keep it in mind when I see people much better off.

I think my deciding to go where I did, and do what I am doing is a better thing than anything you have done in your whole darned life. I might not remember what year my university was established in, but I damned well know that even to be considered for admission you have to have more 90% in your exams. I also know that both the ICSE and CBSE all India toppers for my batch chose to come there. I would say such information is more important to know, than let’s say, the motto of the university?

It is indeed a pity that I have met two such people in the past 3 months. I hope to never meet another one, but unfortunately I know there are others like this out there.

Retards.

No comments:

Post a Comment