Saturday, April 9, 2011

Anna Hazare

I see my whole Facebook feed filled with Hazare causes, questions, links. I get it, ok. Finally, there is someone who is doing something about corruption, taking a stand. And we, who want India to get better but don't know how, finally see an opportunity to get involved, even if it is via Facebook and Twitter. Somebody who follows Gandhian principles? Well what could possibly go wrong with that.

But I am not one of those who has been gung-ho about this whole thing. For one thing, I have never been interested in politics. The eternal pessimist in me sees no hope for a corruption free India till someone like Lee Kuan Yew takes over (bringing his own set of problems nonetheless).

But I did read up on what's been happening, what the whole hulabaloo is about. And this anti-corruption committee that is suggested, do you think they will emerge from some hitherto unknown uncorrupt part of India? With all these immense powers which the government has agreed to in response to Hazare's Jantar Mantar fast, what if the ombudsman turns out to be corrupt? What then?

Hazare is not going to be around forever. How does he ensure that this framework will actually work? I know he has done awesome work in many, many villages in Maharashtra. But just as it is way simpler to micro-manage Singapore, so it is in a village.

I do not want to take anything away from the amazing award-winning work that Hazare has done. But the pessimist in me sees a very long way to go.

The optimist in me hopes.

1 comment:

  1. Roger that. The deal, as you've noted, might be tough to implement all this big-fairness-business in India simply because it's big.

    It's a start - and possibly the only right way to it, that I can think of.

    The pragmatist in me thinks - you either support it or you implement a better state of affairs. Since we (me or you) definitely can't be doing the latter in the next couple of days - might as well be supporting the one stream that is headed towards improvements.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete