Monday, December 15, 2008

The hamster experience

So I agreed to take in 4 hamsters from my friend’s friend for the duration that he was going back to his home country, 2 males, 2 females, one male-female couple in each cage. Today morning I returned him 3 of them. No-no I did not decide to keep 1 for myself, 1 died. Stupid thing.

I have no idea how. 1 night they were both fighting, next morning I wake up and 1 is dead. Lying there. Flat. Fur standing. Dead.

As you can see, I'm obviously not an ardent animal lover. I can watch little puppies from far away and yelp how cute they are, but don’t bring anything near me. If I’d thought that taking in pets, if only for a few days, would be a good experience, I was obviously mistaken. After one had died, I used to check first thing in the morning that the remaining three were alive. Would move the cage even if they were sleeping to ensure they were moving. And of course to check that there were still three inside and they had not escaped. Considering how they are highly active nocturnal creatures, who used to wake me up so many times at night. I was in constant fear that they would escape from the cage and I would wake up to find one sitting on my blanket staring at me.

Plus I had a dream the other night that when I opened the cage door for a split second, the hamster escaped and I was chasing after it in my room. And finally managed to capture it in that green ball thingie. And it started going round and round in it very fast so that I found it very difficult to hold on. Weird.
Glad to say, they’re gone now. I can go back to a hamster-stench free room. With no one to ruin my night’s sleep.

But all said and done, I think I’ll miss them. Miss having something alive in my room. After all they weren’t all that bad company.

1 comment:

  1. I think the hamster that died must've been a female. the other two male hamsters would've been fighting for the other female, so this one committed suicide. :P

    And it would've been SOOOOOO awesome if one of them escaped and sat on ur bed waiting for you to wake up and SCREAM! :D

    ReplyDelete