Monday, May 25, 2009

The importance of a comfort zone.

It is one of those things you don't realize you need until you've lost it. And right now I have.

I'm in Taiwan. And feeling really isolated and out of place. People giving me weird looks doesn't really help. Yes I'm an Indian. Probably the first one you've seen in real life. Get over it. Maybe next time someone does that I should just show them the finger. Or yell something in Hindi. Ok I know you will say that I should 'enjoy the attention, 'feel special' and some other bullshit now. But right now I'm too cranky and pissed off to bother looking at the bright side.

You need to experience the 'discrimination' for yourself before you can know what I'm saying. I am not blaming anyone. I do not expect anyone around to know English. This is not a blame game. It is just a means to vent out my frustration. And the fact that no one right now can understand how I feel. Except maybe the one other Indian in the group. Because it doesn't even strike the others what it feels like to be left out of every conversation. Or feel guilty that they have to really strain their brain to find a way to translate what was just said especially for you.

In Thailand it was the food. In Taiwan its the language. Makes me feel hell guilty. And it shouldn't. But it does.

Non-veg people feel weird when they have to eat a totally veg meal. If for one meal they are taken out of their comfort zone, they feel it. Imagine having to live like that for 15 days. I'm very picky about food. I do not like to try out new things. My choice of food is limited to Indian. And junk. Chinese veg is never my choice. And here I need to feel grateful to get rice (for every freaking meal) and some boiled veg. No thank you. I would rather not eat.

If this article offends anyone, well I'm sorry. But I'm really really pissed off right now.

I am as much a vegetarian by birth as I am by choice. Nothing really is holding me back from eating non-veg. My sister eats it. My mum used to. So I do not appreciate it when people 'pity' me about it and say "Oh don't you ever feel tempted to try meat?" NO I DON'T. I feel repulsed by it. I'm not asking you to change yourself. You can go ahead annihilate whole species of whatever animals you want. But don't make me feel like a lesser person because I choose to not join you.

And about Taiwan, most of the people in the group have been here before. Many times. So they know the place quite well. Which makes it even worse. I don't even know the names of the places where we've been to so far. That is why I would rather stay in the hotel room and watch HBO rather than go out with the rest and feel like an illiterate fool.

I really wish I could carry the people in the group to India. And leave them each separately in a different city. Maybe it'll help them understand. I would never EVER have chosen to come to Taiwan of my own free will I think. Or even if I came, it would have been with non-chinks. So we would at least all be stupid and illiterate here. Like we were in Thailand :(

Bloody hell.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Swati,
    Totally makes sense to have such frustration after what you're going through and missing thy comfort zone. [I might've gone through something similar].

    Regarding dining issues, oh well! At the risk of sounding screwed-up, I really think you could have a look at
    http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2767626-cus-indian-taipei_restaurants-i
    and/or similar stuff, relating to whichever city you're in. Umm.. maybe also carry some stuff with you (from the next time i.e.)?

    Anyhow, good luck with your trip, how long are you in the region? Hope you can come in terms with language/food/not-having-dinners et al.

    Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like comfort zone!! For myself I can go anywhere for traveling but can never think of settling anywhere. And thanks for the info will skip Taiwan even if I ever get a chance!
    And you are just being home sick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post!
    I can totally associate with many of the problems you seem to have faced while in Taiwan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanx for ur comments anonymous person :)
    N SR don't let what I've written stop u from going to Taiwan. It is a really beautiful place. U cn check my FB photos to see e amazing mountains. It was just e initial culture shock tt pissed me off quite badly.
    Mehul ji ya it was horrible initially. Sg mein generally its fine coz I know I can go back very soon or call someone up. Which is why I called up Lakshe n wailed that day. Haha :)

    ReplyDelete