Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Count of Monte Cristo

We must put madmen with madmen.

Joy has that peculiar effect that at times it oppresses us just as much as grief.

One is always in a hurry to be happy, for when one has been suffering for a long time, it is difficult to believe in one's good fortune.

He was one of those men who are born with a pen behind his ears and an ink-pot in place of a heart.

I have lost all that bound me to life; now death smiles on me as a nurse smiles on the child she is about to rock to sleep; now welcome death.

"Die? Oh, no!" he cried out, "it would hardly have been worth while to live, to suffer so much and then to die. I wish to reconquer the happiness that has been taken from me. Before I die, I have my executioners to punish, and possibly also some friends to recompense. Yet they will forget me here and I shall only leave this dungeon in the same way that Faria has done."

The sea is the cemetery of the Chateau d'If.

The wiry youth with calm, happy features had become a well-built, muscular man with fire and deep sadness in his dark eyes.

Frailty, thy name is woman!

Now, farewell to kindness, humanity, gratitude. Farewell to all sentiments which rejoice the heart. I have played the part of Providence in recompensing the good. May the god of vengeance now permit me to punish the wicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment