Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sometimes I feel I was born to be a cook

So today I decided to try making gajar ka halwa. Series of events, starting with my falling sick a few weeks back, led to this. Well, when I fell sick, I bought milk (as milk and bread is the only thing I willingly eat then). So then a few weeks later, I realized I still had almost the entire carton of milk left. So I decided to make khoya out of it. So then the khoya tasted not so nice as it was the carton milk one and very fake (despite the claim that it was made from real Australian cows). So then today I went to Nanyang and saw carrots there, aur mera maatha thanka aur maine kaha, bas ab toh ho jaaye :P

So I called mum up to get instructions, and the rest of the story shall be told in pictures.


This is grated carrots. I obviously grated part of my thumb in the process too.


Then I boiled the grated carrots in the microwave. Then to get the water out of them, I put it in cloth and nichodo-fied.


This is what the gajar looks like after it has been nichodo-fied.


Then bhoono-fy it in desi ghee in the saucepan.


Then put milk in, and cook it for about an hour, so that most of the water evaporates.


And this is what it becomes.


Garnish it with some clover and cardamom. And lo and behold, we have something awesome to eat! :D

5 comments:

  1. "(milk)..made from real Australian cows" - LOL! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay.. I will bookmark this page, for the next time I feel like cooking! But wait, no sugar/sweetner in gajar ka halwa??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha yes mad-u. The sugar goes in with the milk. Forgot to mention that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well honey, u forgot to mention how it tasted..??? U hvnt put up any pictures of ur guinea pigs( read frnds) eating the halwa..xpressions wd hv told..

    ReplyDelete
  5. nd yes, this is me.. niharika bhatt....named by blog account a few yrs bak...so skip d embarassing me part ;)

    ReplyDelete