Sunday, April 19, 2009

IPL Mania begins!

So IPL has started.

I did not follow it AT ALL last year, so am really looking forward to it this time. And I'm glad each match ends in like 3 hours, so since its the time leading up to exams, its chutti. But need to study. So Twenty20 matches provide an ideal way to take 'breaks'.

The issue about which team to support: I find it a very stupid idea to support teams whose names are based on cities, states or even regions. I support India, and I refuse to pick a team which has most players whom I've never heard of and a smattering of some 'bought' firangis. Don't they feel so violated to be auctioned off? I guess the money makes it all worthwhile. Hmm. Oh and I don't have any favourite players, so that can't be the criterion.

Oh yes the issue of money. IPL stinks of money. It is such an in-your-face thing that the whole darned thing is about earning money, about cashing in on the cricket fever that perenially grips the nation. A break after 10 overs, to rake in money, is like OMG aren't you rich enough already. The dog running in and stopping play for 10 minutes during the 1st match must have earned lots of money.

And why does every team have a truckload of players to choose from? I counted 52 for Deccan. I doubt if even half of them get to play a decent amount of cricket.

Also, about the venue. I think this article sums its up pretty nicely when it talks about how different the feel is when IPL cricket is uprooted from its birthplace and taken to a foreign country that knows nothing about how to go crazy about cricket!!

No comments:

Post a Comment