Sunday, February 28, 2010

Xchange Yorkself

I think the main reason we miss things so much when they are gone is because we sub-consciously choose to remember only the good parts.

I miss Canada whenever I see other people's photos, because I remember how much fun it was playing in the snow, not how cold and depressing it was.
I remember how much fun travelling was, not how annoying the planning was or how tiring it was.
I remember how beautiful it was, not how expensive.
I remember how awesome it was to get to know more people, not how lonely I was at times.
I remember the awesome parties, not how strange the cultural difference was.

Now, if given the choice to spend another sem in Canada, I would readily agree. But I remember when I was there I was glad I wouldn't be there for the winter sem.

I miss bagels, and soup, and Tim Hortons, and the huge slices of pizzas. But I am glad for how cheap Singapore now feels. I am glad that I can come back home at 2 in the night, and feel perfectly safe. I am glad I don't have to wear 5 layers of clothes before I leave my room. I am glad to be able to wear skirts and shorts and spaghettis again. I am glad for feeling like I belong again.

But all said and done, I do miss Canada. A lot. Always will. It gave me something that Singapore has never been able to. It is just way too beautiful. Every city is a natural attraction, without even trying, unlike Sg.

It is a feeling that cannot be expressed in words. It is something that only those who go through it can relate to and understand. Because I know when I turn to someone who was there, and say "I MISS IT", they know exactly what I am talking about. It's been more than 2 months since I left all that behind. Yet, even now, I can just close my eyes and be back there. Because to the rest, it was just 4 months. To me, it was another life.

No comments:

Post a Comment