Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Zimbabwe's forgotten children, struggling to survive

Here I sit in my room, with everything I need within an arm's distance. My biggest worry at the moment is whether I will be able to get over my laziness and finish researching for my ISM before I meet the prof in another 5 hours. And then I chance upon this.

Do you ever feel shallow? When you're drowning yourself in self-pity, do you ever stop to think about how pathetic your problems are? Do you ever wonder what it would be like if you had no food, no place to stay, no parents, or maybe even sick parents and siblings whom you have to take care of and provide for? I know I don't. I wail and whine about how broke I am, but that doesn't stop from planning overseas vacations, or spending $40 on a meal. That 40 dollars which could very well support an entire family for a week in many parts of the world. Do you ever feel shallow?

Whenever any overseas volunteer trips are organised, I always convince myself that they are too expensive, and yet I found the money to go on exchange. And I want to spend a lot more on traveling, do a Europe and Australia and South America trip someday maybe. Why? So I can get more cultured? More learned in the ways of the world? How much will I really learn if I only look at the beauty of the world and ignore its ugliness. For believe me, there is a lot of ugliness out there. A LOT of poverty, misery, hunger, child labour.

If you feel you had a hard childhood, ask yourself, did you have to support your family by digging bones and selling them?
If you feel you had hard teens, ask yourself, did you wish someone close who was dying of AIDS would die faster, so you would be able to live just a little bit better?

No comments:

Post a Comment